PgfbIAFqMembers of Parliament are elected to the House of Commons to represent the interests and concerns of all the people who live in their constituency, whether they voted for them at the General Election or not. They are only able to deal with issues raised by people who live in their constituency.

Many people think that their MP is there to solve all their problems for them but unfortunately this is not the case.

Whilst of course they will do their best to help if they can, MPs can only assist with matters for which Parliament or central government are responsible.

An MP may be able to help with problems relating to central government policies, the National Health Service, HM Revenue and Customs (tax issues, child benefits), and the Department for Work and Pensions (benefits, pensions, national insurance).

Your MP cannot help you in private disputes with neighbours, with an employer, with family matters or with companies who have sold you faulty goods, nor can they interfere with decisions made by courts. You should first try to address issues directly with the organisation involved before approaching your MP.

For many matters, the most appropriate first step would be to contact your local councillor. If your problem is connected with services provided by local authorities (such as planning, housing, parking and recycling), then you should contact your local council:

If your problem is of a more general nature or you are uncertain where to go for advice, then your nearest Citizens Advice Bureau will be able to guide you. More information can be found at

Local Citizens Advice services:

  • Runnymede and Spelthorne Citizens Advice (Addlestone) – 01932 842666 / 827187
  • Walton Weybridge & Hersham Citizens Advice Bureau – 01932 248660